Thursday, January 22, 2009

Michelle Wu'd the Inauguration Crowd


Two days before the inauguration, I had gotten into a debate regarding Michelle Obama's fashion choices. My beloved aunt believed that Mrs. Obama would select a well known fashion designer like, Oscar de la Renta or Carolina Herrera to wear to the inaugural celebrations. However, I told my aunt that I didn't believe she would select a celebrity designer and that she would wear a dress from a up and coming designer...I WAS RIGHT!


I was happy to see that Michelle had indeed selected a ball gown from a new designer. Jason Wu is 26 years old and born in Taipei, but has lived in Vancouver and Paris. Wu, a graduate from the Parsons School of Design and interned with Narciso Rodriguez (whom was made famous when Caroline Bissette Kennedy wore his wedding gown). His designs are carried in such top name stores as Nordstrom, Bergdorf Goodman and Saks Fifth Avenue. When I viewed Wu's Spring 2009 collection, I could see why the First Lady selected this young designer. His designs are influenced by old Hollywood, when women wear polished to perfection; but with a twist of modernism. The shapes of the dresses fit Michelle's form perfectly; with fitted bodices and the ease of the lower torso. An excellent choice to match Michelle's hour-glass figure.


In was inevitable that Michelle would select a new designer, after all, her husband's entire presidential platform was for change. I'm excited to see fashion history unfold with First Lady Michelle Obama!

No comments: