Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ebay Pays Big for Selling Counterfeit Goods

A French court ordered eBay to pay the luxury goods giant, Louis Vuitton and other high-end designers, around $63.2 million for selling counterfeit items on its online auction site, and for selling genuine products outside their desired retail channel. Ebay was ordered to stop selling the items immediately or face a fine of $79,000 a day...OUCH!

Usually I'm for the under-dog, but in this case, I'm not quite sure who the under-dog is. Ohhh yes...I'm the under-dog...Me and all the poor victims, whom unknowingly, purchased counterfeit goods. I too, fell victim to this fraud and I was furious. I was told that a pair of Kate Spade shoes were authentic; when they, in fact, were not! I felt so violated.

I still enjoy shopping on eBay, however, I have learned to be a lot more discerning when choosing designer goods.

No comments: